Wednesday 9 February 2011

Job Centre: you HAVE to apply for these or we'll cut you off

Jobs I applied for today: 
  • Receptionist, jobcentre
  • Marketing Assistant, jobcentre
  • Warehouse packer, directgov
The top 2 jobs were ones that the jobcentre gave me. I only realised today that they're giving me 2 every time that I have to apply for or I won't get benefits anymore. What's stupid is that they didn't even inform me of that in previous weeks. I just naively thought they were trying to help me (luckily I applied for them all anyway, because I am actually desperate)

When I was in the Housing benefit office, I remember hearing some woman moaning that they cut her off because she didnt apply for "one job", now I know what she meant.

It's worrying though isn't it. What happens when people who are employed in high paid jobs (for example in the public sector) face unemployment due to being made redundant (laid off), do they have to apply for any old minimum wage job that the job centre give them? Do people have the right to choose the job they want to do?

Personally, I have experience in waitressing, so the job centre have told me I must apply for jobs in that. Luckily I swayed them into generalising it as customer service instead, because I just don't feel confident or happy as a waitress any more. Will it come down to people being handed a job, and told they start on Monday or they won't get benefits. I won't be surprised if it does. But it just makes one's degree even more pointless.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment